- “When parents are meaningfully engaged and involved, their children succeed.” (Henderson & Mapp, 2002)
Wyoming Department of Education (WDE) Family Engagement Definition – Family Engagement is the deliberate, systematic inclusion of families in all activities and programs that promote and reinforce children’s learning, development and wellness in multiple settings. It is based on respectful relationship and collaborative communication between schools and families that embrace families as equal partners, advocates and decision makers for their student.
WDE Family Engagement Vision – Family Engagement is practiced as an essential strategy for improving student learning and behavior and advancing equity for all students.
WDE Family Engagement Mission – To provide training, resources, guidance and support for districts and their schools to promote and implement systemic, sustainable Family Engagement policies and practices.
- Student grades go up
- Students attend school more regularly
- They are more likely to enroll in higher-level programs
- They are more likely to graduate and go on to college
- They are more excited and positive about school and learning
- They have fewer discipline issues inside and outside class
Laws Related to Family Engagement in Education
- U.S. Department of Education: Laws and Guidance
- Wyoming Department of Education: Federally Funded Programs
- Overview of ESEA (Elementary & Secondary Education Act) and ESSA (Every Student Succeeds Act)
- Family Engagement in ESSA:
- FERPA (Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act) for Parents and Eligible Students
- FERPA (Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act) for School Officials
- FERPA Model Form for Disclosure to Parents of Dependent Students and Consent Form for Disclosure to Parents
- Title I Summary in ESSA
- Title II Summary in ESSA
- Title IV Summary in ESSA
- Because of the 10th Amendment, most education policy is decided at the state and local levels. For questions about Wyoming policy or issue:
Examples of Family Engagement Initiatives from other State Department of Education