When disputes arise regarding educational services for children with disabilities, an impartial system is available to resolve disputes in an equitable manner. The dispute resolution system includes Mediation, State Complaints and Due Process Hearings. The United States Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) created a comparison chart to explain these processes.
Parents are encouraged to contact the Wyoming Parent Information Center (307-684-2277) or the Wyoming Children’s Law Center (307-632-3614), other parent advocacy groups, or the Wyoming State Department of Education (307-857-9285) to seek assistance.
- IDEA Final Regulations (August 2006)
- Wyoming Chapter 7 Rules Governing Services to Students with Disabilities (2010)
- WDE Policy and Procedure Manual for Special Education (includes Dispute Resolution Procedures)
- Procedural Safeguards (Parent Rights) under IDEA (WDE, Jan. 2015)
- Procedural Safeguards: Third Party Billing (WDE, Jan. 2015)
- Mediation Request Form (English, Spanish)
- Mediation Agreement Form (English)
- State Complaint Request Form (English, Spanish)
- Due Process Request Form (English, Spanish)
- Dispute Resolution Q & A (U.S. Dept. of Education, OSEP, July 2013)
- IDEA Dispute Resolution Parent Guides (CADRE). Four guides for parents of children and youth (ages 3-21) with disabilities about written state complaints, mediation, due process complaints/hearing requests, and resolution meetings.
- Quick Guide to Dispute Resolution Processes for parents (CADRE)